Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A Not-So-Fortunate Encounter?

It was a hot sunny day. The sun was scorching hot, it is no wander the plains in this area are barren. I had been walking for a couple of days now, and I am beginning to wander if this road I took will lead to any civilization at all. With the meagre amount of food and water that I still keep, I began to ponder how long more will I last… “will I ever reach the next town?...” I let out a heavy sigh under the shadow of my broad hat…

The sounds of a steed galloping and the squeaking of caravan wheels slowly became more and more audible. I looked around me, but all I see is dirt and more dirt beyond that. I drew a long breath and sighed again. “I must be imagining things… Yup, that is most probably it, the intense heat must have gotten to my head…”

“O hello there!” a cheerful voice of a young girl interrupted my thoughts. I turned towards the voice coming from behind me, to my surprise there was a teenage girl driving a caravan. I took a glace of her from top to toe and uttered under my breath “Great, now I’m seeing things…”

Soon after that, I came to realise that the girl was a matter of fact real, her name was Elaine of the Voon family. She was kind enough to offer me a ride to the next town. What a relief, she said there is still a long way to go before reaching there. But she made me promise to sit with her and keep her entertained throughout the journey. That should not be too bad now would it? After all, entertaining people is part of the job of a minstrel. And so we ride…

I told her tales from my adventures and visits of places far and wide. It kept her amused, but not for long. I sang of songs which I have heard from distant lands. But she was not too keen on my selection of folk music which honestly, is all that I know of. I tried to jest, but to my dismay, she just stared at me in confusion. Truly, that type of work is better left for jesters…

Disappointed, I sank into the wooden seat slouching. Then I suddenly remembered the glass vials which an old man gave me in my earlier stop in another village. It contained strangely bright coloured liquid within it. The old man called it ‘The Water of Happiness’ he said, if ever you are down and feel like everything in life has gone wrong, take a sip… I guess I can give it a try now...

I did not want to offend Miss Elaine so I offered it to her before I drank it. Was I ever so wrong… As I had instructed, she took a sip. Her facial expression changed within a blink of an eye; she started smiling as her face lit up with joy. I guess it really works… seconds later Miss Elaine brought the glass vial to her mouth once again and began to gulp down the entire content of the vial. I was dumbstruck; staring at her with my mouth wide open at a loss for neither words nor thoughts. She started to laugh hysterically, pointing all over, slapped me on the back a few times and was speaking in a manner which I cannot quite understand…

I embraced myself for what was left of the journey. She continued laughing for the whole night, then passed out upon daybreak. I took over the reigns and drove all the way till the next town. Where I woke her up to say farewell and part our ways…

Now that I think back upon that not-so-fortunate day, it was not bad after all. If it were not for Miss Elaine who was so kind to pick me up, I would probably be the one laughing all night… but only to my grave…


By the Wandering Minstrel,

Rong Tau

No comments:

Melodies of The Soul