Saturday, November 24, 2007

If I didn’t know you…

I got the shock of my life as I woke up this morning. To my horror, I was greeted by a message from Elaine Low the youth worker in CGMC. It read: “Got di-yan’s sms (3.40am). His mom had passed away. Elaine”

Di-yan, a friend of mine… a close friend of mine. Our meeting was rather unusual…

Although I have known him only over a short period of a year, we had already formed a close bond. He was almost like a brother to me. I met Di-yan through Darren Hew, Darren asked me to fetch Di-yan to church and I agreed. From then on, we got along really well, we shared the interest of watching anime and playing games, we hung out around Meru Valley often, went to church together, helped out in the Kids church together, where ever I would go during the weekends, most of the time he would follow. I had fun, really did…

One day, the doctors discovered tumor cells in his mother’s brain and lungs. It was suspected that it had spread from previous cancer developments that had been treated. She went to Kuala Lumpur (KL) to receive frequent check ups and treatment, and it had a great impact on Di-yan’s life. He was no longer as cheerful as before, he was no longer as lively as before, he became quiet and was deep in thought at times. The issue of his mother’s illness was brought up in our Morning Prayer group, and we even organized a trip to visit her and to pray for her. Of course, it was originally Di-yan’s plan, out of filial piety he wanted to show his mother that there are many people who really care for her and are praying hard for her even though they do not know her personally…

His parents were open; they were happy that we paid them a visit and even allowed us to pray for his mother. Many MYF members turned up so much that there wasn’t enough space in the dining hall to fit all of us. But it was encouraging, I was happy that I was able to do something to help out this dear friend of mine…

Then his mother went on with her treatments in Hospital University in KL on a frequent basis, about twice a week, traveling back and fourth between Ipoh and KL in between treatments. Eventually, things became more stable, and Di-yan slowly got back to his cheerful lively self again. I assumed that everything went well…

But during that time, Di-yan said that he would have to cut down on his activeness in church because he wanted to stay home to spend time with his mother. He realized that all this while he didn’t really notice how important his mother is in his life. He felt that he had been taking his mother for granted, so in return he decided to take care of her in this time where she is at her weakest. Chemotheraphy, is a treatment that is very taxing on the human body…

After awhile, things when on as usual, but we still uphold Di-yan’s mother in our regular morning prayers. Then it was time for me to leave for KL for my further studies. That is when I didn’t keep in touch with the happenings in Ipoh anymore, as I had other things and commitments. Even now, I am in the midst of still finishing up my assignments and preparing for my final papers which are coming up in the 1st week of December. I was totally unaware of what was happening back in Ipoh, what had taken place in the Ho residence up till this fateful morning…

I was crushed emotionally. Of all things, why this? Why now? Why him?

I was at a lost mentally. I was so confused, what am I going to say? What am I to do? I can’t even go back to attend the funeral?

I’m so far away, all I could do was make a call, and I pretty much don’t know what to say at all…

It grieves me to know that I am so limited…


“I wonder what would have happen if I didn’t know you” said Di-yan, but all I did was smiled as I drove up the porch of his house letting him off to return to his house. Those were the words he said to me just shortly before I left for KL… I really do wonder, what would have happen? That I do not know, but I know for sure that this is not the end...

Di-yan, sorry I could not be there for you…

I hope that you will find comfort in Jesus Christ during this time of need, and may God’s blessing and peace be upon you and your family. Stay strong alright? don't give up.

Your brother and friend,

Rong Tau

2 comments:

Jenny Cheng said...

Touching....sob

ann said...

So is his mom still going for treatment at UH? Is this the one which you said you wanted to visit the other day after church?? Hope everything is still going fine...

Melodies of The Soul